COVID, Mother, and the vacuuming

 Recently I contracted COVID-19.  Of course, I didn't know it was Covid until later that day. I woke up exhausted that morning but I always wake up exhausted no matter how much sleep I get so I didn’t think anything of it.  I went to work and a couple of hours later I realized it wasn’t normal exhaustion. I was achy, feverish and I was weak.  So, I told my boss I was going home. It wasn’t until later that day and after several home tests, I was indeed positive for COVID-19.            

I should stop right here and tell you reader(s) this isn’t a COVID-19 story. It is actually about my mother. My elderly mother moved in with me after my father passed. It has been interesting living with her. Anyway, I called my mother to let her I was sick and I was on my way home.  There was a long pause.

“Hello?” 

“Yeah. I’m here.”  She replies.

“Did you hear what I said?  I’m not feeling well. I’m sick and I have a fever. I’ll be home soon.”

Another long pause.

“Ma. Are you listening?”

“Yeah, I’m here. I’m just thinking. How long do you think it will take you?”

“Maybe half an hour.”

“Can you take an hour?”

“What! Why?”

“I just started to vacuum. If you come home now, you’ll want to go to bed and want it to be quiet.”

 Right now I think I must be delirious with a fever because I tell my mother I’m sick she’s worried about housework.

 “Ma who cares about vacuuming. It doesn’t matter. You can do it some other time.”

“Do you think you’ll go back to work tomorrow?”

“I don’t know. I think might have Covid. I have all the symptoms Madison had when she was sick.”

“Ok. Well, do your best to take an hour to get home. Longer would be better.”

 Well, I didn't take an hour or extra to get home. When I did arrive home, she had to vacuum cleaner out and it looked like she had just finished with the living room. 

She did ask how I was feeling. She did take very good care of me. I was also very happy to report she did not catch COVID from me though she had a pretty bad cold.

 Also, she did fret about how long it's been since she's vacuumed the whole time I was sick. My mother likes to do housework when I'm not home. She says it's because she doesn't want to get in my way. I know it's cause she knows I get annoyed when she complains about how dirty everything is even though it isn't. 

 

That's it for now. 

Until next time...

 

 



 

Comments

  1. Dear Janet,
    so glad to hear you are ok; Would you be able to send your Mom over to vaccum my place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back here, Janet. Your mom could be a quirky character on a sitcom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from June at Live and Learn.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. She often reminds of Betty White's character in The Golden Girls.

      Delete
    3. That paints a whole new image. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts