R is for Retirement

 

I think about retirement all the time. I mean all the time and every day.  Unfortunately I have to work at least another 20 years minimum to live at the comfort I’m living right now before that could happen.  

 There are many people in my organization that can retire but won’t! I don’t get it. True for some it is a financial reason but for a majority it is not.  Yes, you can say they really love their job and I can understand. I do work at a pretty nice place. The politics are typical of any organization but overall the work is pretty nice. Very low stress, good atmosphere and not your typical work environment, I am very lucky. By not typical, I mean I don’t work in a human at farm.

 I would give up all this if I could retire. What would I do if I retired? A lot! I’ve always wanted to learn new languages. Live abroad for at least a year. Live abroad at least few countries. Learn few crafts and take some classes just for fun. Yes, I could probably do most of that while working but it’s just not as fun learning new things while working.

 I went to college late so it was not fun learning while working a full time job. Plus, I found I don’t have energy like I used to. Even though my job is low stress, I’m still exhausted when I get home. All I want to do is veg out.  I still try to make the best of my life while I wait for the big day!

 R is for Retirement 

Comments

  1. I read a statistic one time that if someone retires and doesn't have something to do they probably would die within 6 months of retirement. People like/enjoy being productive. I think that's why maybe some of your fellow employees still might like to work. You seem like you have a wide variety of interests that you would like to pursue upon retirement, which is a great thing. So many people retire and then don't really have a plan. Then of course there was the case of my husband who retired right before the pandemic hit. He had great plans on what he would do with retirement and then everything shut down (he is a musician and he was going to pursue more musical interests but everything like that shut down). Enjoy your time before retirement. I know it sounds like a long time but it will be here before you know it! I turn 65 this year but I plan to work for as long as I can if I have something I enjoy doing (plus my husband does all the housework now since I'm working, so why do I want to retire??)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I heard about that too but when my dad retired all he did was pretty much watch TV or YouTube. I think he could probably have gone for another 10 to 15 years doing that. He died due to complication with his heart surgery.
      I get people like be productive and it's also a social aspect but I think that's mostly women. There are a couple of women at my work who's husbands have retired and they complain all the time all they do is just sit around and do nothing. But I bet if you ask their husbands they are doing something which is relaxing. They've worked pretty hard all their life and think they deserve a little down time or a lot of down time. Whatever takes their fancy.

      Delete
  2. When it's actually time to retire, you may feel differently than you do now. However, my husband just retired and he's very happy. His work was getting very old and he has hobbies he wants to spend more time with. It will take a while though before he finds his new rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably will feel different because I find each year my energy level is going down. So who knows what I'll be able to do by the time I retire.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree, trying to do creative things while you are working gets progressively harder. I find work just saps all my energy so even if I have the time and inclination to do other projects I often cant motivate myself. I feel quite annoyed at my partner who retired in 2020 and he just sits around watching tv and does not make good use of the freedom he has (we don't live together so I dont have to put up with this on a daily basis at least). I want to build my own house when I retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very difficult trying to be creative when you're exhausted. Building your own house is a pretty big deal. I have two friends that built their own houses and it was huge ordeal with all the builder delays and getting permits. I think it took them two years to complete it. But they are very beautiful homes. Looks like it was worth all the wait. Good luck with that.

      Delete
  4. So true, learning a new thing while working is almost impossible. However we can assign weekends or a particular hour per day to do what we wanna do ....wish u happy job and happy me time after retirement whenever it would be

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Retirement, I have found, can be even busier than the working life. I love it and have never been happier. Retired at 58 and studying, have new projects, and meeting new people. Your time will come:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts