Wedding


Back in April I did a post on bridal showers.  I also mentioned I don't really like going to formal events. One I hate dressing up. I am no fashionista so I can't tell if I'm accessioning properly or dressing up like a clown. I'm also awkward around people I've never met. I hate small talk. Let's face it, you can only talk about the weather for so long and how great the canapes are. A few cocktails do help take the edge off a little.

Normally attending formal events don't come up much in my life. I don't even have a job where I have to dress up. This year, I have two weddings to attend. I already attended one back in May. It was for one of my best friend's daughter. The bride looked beautiful and the groom couldn't have had a bigger smile on his face. Everything looked wonderful. I know it wasn't my day. It's not even like anyone was looking at me. But it was still  nerve wracking to be at a formal event. It helped my other friend, Mary, was with me. Mary is also not a fan of formal events. We both knew the bride and some of the bride's family. But it wasn't like we were in the inner inner circle where we could feel relaxed and belonged. Mary and I said hello to the family hugged our best friend for daughter's happy day and said hello to happy couple. 

Then we sat down at the table where the rest of them also weren't in the inner circle but were close enough to have gotten an invitation and started the dreaded small talk. "How do you know the couple?" "Wasn't the ceremony great?" "Didn't the bride look beautiful?" "I've known her since she was 10."  "Hmm, what?... Oh yes, the decorations do look pretty." "Oh yes, they are real flowers."... Then silence and once in a while oh how is what ever you're eating. I'm going to get seconds.

I usually sneak out when the dancing is about to start. That's when everyone at my table would get on the dance floor. If my fashion ability is abysmal, my dancing is tragic. I was also happy that Mary was also not a fan of dancing. I didn't feel bad when we left early. It wasn't just me. 

This weekend is the second wedding. You'd think I wouldn't feel as nervous attending since it's my nephew's. But most of my side of the family is pretty small. So most of the people will be from the bride's side. So here I go. I'm feel nauseous just thinking about it. 

I guess there is a bit of a silver lining.  I don't have any more marriage age kids in my family for several more years. 

Comments

  1. I agree that situations like weddings can be hard. What to wear, small talk, etc. But I will say they are not as bad as job interviews. At least when you had to go to them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not fond of small talk either. I think the more one does it, the easier it might be. I know I don't like the greeting time at church so I get what you are saying . I hope your nephew's wedding went well and congrats to him and his bride!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey- at least it wasn't YOU on the "chopping block" so to speak...just imagine how it must feel for the bride and groom having all the eyes on them...YIKES!
    Alas, maybe one day it will be YOUR wedding! I will make sure to dance like crazy if it is yours. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fan of weddings either. But I do like the ones with an open bar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts