Horse Races


I never thought how much fun horse racing could be until I took my dad to the racetrack about seven years ago. After my dad retired, he started to become an unintentional recluse if there is such a thing. He had a car but didn't seem to like going anywhere. I took him to a few senior centers with lots of activities but he wasn't interested. I suggested he could volunteer somewhere; nope not doing that either. 

There were times when he wouldn't leave the house for weeks and sometimes months.  One particular long stretch of time when he hadn't left the house, I told him he needed to get out of his pajamas and get dress we're going out. By the way, it was a Saturday night when he was still in his PJs. No, he wasn't getting ready for bed. He pretty much lived in his PJs. At least he changed into new PJs few times a week.

We both weren't big on going out to dinner; I didn't feel like going to the mall or the bar with my 70 year old father. So, I thought we'd go to the local race track. I've never been to one and neither has he so I figured why not. It'll be a new experience for the both of us. If anything, it will get him out of the house.

When we got to the track, we didn't know what to except. The races hadn't started yet so we sat on the benches looking out at the track. It seem to have brought some life into him. He started to ask me about million questions. When are they going to start? Why do they run on sand? How many horses will be running? How long will they run? And the questions just kept on coming. 

I tried not to get annoyed because the whole point me getting him out of the house was to get some life in him. At least he's showing some interest. I asked the guy sitting on the bench next to us what time the race started and asked if I could look at his program sheet. I later found out they were racing forms to this day I still have no idea how to read them or bet on horses.

The handlers finally brought the horses out to do the initial little parade for the spectators and betters to check out the horses. I asked my dad if he wanted to see the little parade. He said, "No. Why? I thought the whole point was the watch them run." Ok. I wasn't going to argue with that. 

After all the waiting, the first race was about to start. The horses were being led into the starting gate. I made my dad come up to the fence to get a better look. Of course he fought me on it and said he was fine on the bench. After the last horse was cajoled into place, they were off.  

The energy of the stand seem to change at the same time. And it was infectious. My dad looked around the roaring crowd and the horses thundering down the track. He started to smile at the beautiful animals racing towards us and streak past. He could not take his eyes off them as they rounded the track. By the time they crossed the finish line he was laughing so hard. He had never seen anything so alive. He turned asked me if they were running again.  

We did not leave until 11 PM. We even tried to bet on a couple of races. We didn't win. But it didn't matter. My dad had so much.  We went several more times before it started to get really cold. We had planned to come again the following year when it got warmer. But by the following year, my dad had become even bigger recluse. He just didn't want to go anywhere. 

It's been a few years since my dad passed away. I still go to the track now and then. But now I think I enjoy it because it reminds me of the time I used to go with my dad. I get just as excited and cheer just as loud as I did when I used to go with my dad.  When I see those big beautiful animals coming down the track, I always remember him laughing his head off. 


Comments

  1. You describe your touching memory so well. I haven't really wanted to watch horse racing, but maybe now I do. If I do, I will imagine your dad's smile even though I never met him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. I hope you do make it to a horse race one day. It was a lot fun. And if you don't, I would highly recommend the movie Secretariat.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if I can get it at the library. It's been out for a long time.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see a post from you, Janet :) What a sweet memory of the horse races with your dad! I'm glad he enjoyed the outing. Years ago when I was a young woman, we lived in the San Diego area close to the city of Del Mar with a horse track. A few Saturdays my mom and me went to the races . We went once to see how it would be and enjoyed it so much we went a few more times. We would pick a horse and bet on it. Never won much, but it was a great time together :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Betty. I keep meaning to post something new but time seems to get away from me. And I think I've been to the Del Mar track. My brother lived in San Diego and I went with his family. I think I remember liking it. We didn't stay too long though. I just remember it being very hot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts