Q is for Quinoa


I love carbs. Who doesn’t? White rice, pizza, pasta, cake, chips…OMG, I could just go one. All so delicious and all so very bad for you. But as someone that is on trajectory of getting diabetes, carbs are not so good for me.  My doctor recommended I eat quinoa. I know people also have a hard time pronouncing it. It's KEEN and WA.  Now put it together quinoa. It’s a whole grain so it is better for someone that is diabetic or watching their carbs. It’s high in protein and fiber so really good for you. Keeps you full longer.

If you’ve never had quinoa, I’d like to share with you a recipe I’ve been making for almost 10 years. It’s not my recipe and I don’t even remember who gave it to me, but I love it. I mostly make it in the summer because it’s a nice light refreshing dish. You can have it as a side dish or nice salad for lunch.

Quinoa-Avocado Salad 

1 Cup quinoa - cook to package directions and chill

1 Can corn

1 Cup finely chopped cilantro

1 Cup green onions thinly sliced on bias

2 plum tomatoes 1/4 inch dice (about 1 cup)

2 avocados (cut into small cubes)

1/2 cup lemon vinaigrette (recipe to follow)

1/2 tsp salt & pepper

Mix first 5 ingredients into mixing bowl. Add the lemon vinaigrette fold in well until mix welled. Then carefully fold in avocados. Best to add in avocados just before serving so they don't turn brown. 

Lemon Vinaigrette recipe

1 tsp mustard ( I prefer spicy brown mustard)

1 1/2 tsp lemon zest

2 1/2 TBS lemon juice

salt & pepper for taste

6 TBS vegetable oil 

Mix all together well.  These can be adjusted to your taste. I prefer a little extra mustard.

Chill for couple of hours before serving. Longer the better so all flavors can meld together. 

Hope you guys enjoy if you make it. 


Q is for Quinoa.

 

Comments

  1. Though am not much of a quinoa eater...
    Recipe seems doable and interesting for once in a while . I make salads with broken wheat and millets...similar ones


    Dropping by from a to z http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I occasionally eat quinoa and have learned that it needs to be thoroughly rinsed or can taste bitter. After the bitter experience a few times, I started making something like your recipe with brown rice. It may not be as good as quinoa, but it's pretty good nutrition wise. I will try your recipe with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only had quinoa maybe once or twice, but I do like this recipe of yours. I'm going to have to try it soon! I too love my carbs. Have you tried cauliflower rice in substitution for regular rice? It is really good and to me I can't tell the difference between it and regular rice.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have tried the cauliflower substitution. I use cauliflower rice when I make my version of fried rice. It's so much lighter than rice, I feel like I can eat the whole thing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts