M is for Maine and Mystic


 For letter M I was torn on what to write about.  Should I write about Maine or Mystic? Then I thought why decided. I can write about both of them.  I’ve always wanted to go New England for the fall. After many tries, I finally got to go last year. Just not in the fall. I actually went in July. That was perfectly alright.

 Maine:

I visited the Bar Harbor area in northern Maine. And even thought it wasn't for the fall foliage, the wait was still worth it. I fell in love with Maine just driving through it. The crisp clean air, the quiet, the views, everything was just so wonderful. Just as much as the views, I absolutely loved the people. They were so nice and quirky.

The friend I went with is a foody. We ate some interesting places. One of them was called Mainely Meat BBQ. I personally am not a BBQ person. But their burgers were great. I think you can good food anywhere but the thing that stood out for me were the people. Did I say northern Mainers (is that a word?) are quirky? The people were funny, and helpful. Right next door is the Udder Heaven Ice Cream Retreat.  That was some good ice cream.

And then there was the 2 Cats Restaurant we had brunch. I’m not a foody. But I would make a trip up there just have their homemade biscuits with homemade whipped strawberry butter. OMG. OMG! But it was the staff at the restaurant that enchanted me. The restaurant had a huge chalk board and the staff wrote their names and where they were from. It was really cool to see they were from all over the world. I mean all over the world. Yes, it shouldn't be surprising in a diverse country like the US. But seeing it all written like that was just amazing. I just can't really explain it. 

 Aside from the all the food, the trip to Cadillac Mountain was the icing on the cake. I took about a million pictures (rounding up) but none of them did the justice to the views. I could not get over the view from the top of the mountain. You can see the Frenchman Bay to one side and then the Atlantic Ocean on the other side. It was just amazing. Just break taking amazing. I could have just stayed on top of that mountain for hours looking at those views. 

Mystic:

On my way back from Maine, I discovered a placed called Mystic, CT. Well, I didn’t discover it. It was already there. I just happened to take a little detour to go home. It is the very same Mystic that the 1988 Mystic Pizza was filmed. Yes, I ate Mystic Pizza. The town of Mystic was just charming. It was the quintessential New England town.  The quaint little shops on Main Street, the houses were so cute and charming. If could up root my life and move, it would have to be Mystic. Oh wait, I could also live in Bar Harbor. 

 I could write pages and pages about both of these places but all the words couldn't describe their charm. It's just one of those places you have to visit to get the full experience. 

  

M is for Maine and Mystic, CT

Comments

  1. Both sound like great places to visit! Glad you were finally able to get to see Maine! Maybe next time in the fall to enjoy the leaves changing!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have to go back in the fall. I'd also like to visit VT and New Hampshire. I ran out of time.

      Delete
  2. My sister has lived in Maine for many years and uses the word Mainers, so I guess it's a word. I have visited there several times and would agree with what you found during your visit. However, I have not visited Mystic. Maybe next time when we drive up the east coast, we'll make a stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked Maine, you will love Mystic. You have to eat Mystic Pizza. And by the way, they play the movie Mystic Pizza all the time. I'm sure the employees love that!

      Delete
  3. Hi Janet,

    You have made me add another place in my bucket list -- Mystic. Seems like a great place to have a writing career.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts