D is for Dad


My dad randomly pops into my head.  I guess it is normal for anyone that’s lost a loved one. My dad passed away two years ago. I still miss him a lot. I guess I will always miss him. I have two friends that lost their dads when they were teenagers. That was about 30 to 40 years ago; they still miss their dads even to this day.

 Last night when I was thinking about him it was about the things he did that drove me nuts. The last five years of his life he lived with me. He was not an easy person to live with. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my dad very much but he was difficult. He sort of reminds me of the character Arthur Spooner on the show King of Queens.

 Every day when I got home from work, my dad would pitch some business idea that we should start that’s a sure fire thing. And when my dad says “we”, that meant I will be doing everything. Whenever he would presented opportunities as a yes or no question, the answer was obviously supposed to be yes. The no choice was just decorative.  But of course I would say no and he would storm off mad and broods for a few days around the house until the next sure fire idea.

 My dad was also incredibly messy. After coming home from a long day of work, the mess I asked him to clean that morning would still be there. When he was a kid, he was spoiled by his mother and sisters. When he got married, he was spoiled by my mother. He never had to clean up after himself. He just couldn’t see the mess.

 In the last few years of his life, he started get what I call old people shake. His hands would just shake. This also started fights. I wasn’t mad he had old people shake. But I would ask him not to fill his coffee cup to the brim and walk to the sofa. He would leave a trail of coffee stains from the kitchen to the sofa twice a day; he always had a second cup in the afternoon. It’s a good thing the carpet was brown.

 

Then there were the fights about him cooking. I would beg him not to cook. Every time he did, there would be mystery stains everywhere. I mean everywhere. The floor, under the cabinets, the fridge that was clear across the kitchen, the ceiling; I mean everywhere. Whatever masterpiece he attempted to cook, was clearly the second attempt because there would be a burnt small when I entered the house.

 

Now when I think back, I would give anything to have him back. I would put up with a messy kitchen, a messy house, a house almost burnt down because he would always forget he left something on the stove. I miss his goofy dad jokes. I miss the way he cracked himself up after his bad jokes. His goofy laugh made you laugh more than any of his jokes.  He was fun, loving and kind; he was just a great dad.

 

I miss dad.

Comments

  1. You're right. We never stop missing our parents. And isn't it true, that those we love the most can drive us the most crazy. Sometime you'll have to us about some of your dad's "great" money making ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you! My mom passed away almost 6 years ago, and I now spend a lot of time with my dad (he's 87 and lives an hour away from me). He is pretty much a full time job (and I HAVE a full time job), but I know he will be gone some day and I will miss him terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do always miss our parents. I never knew my dad because he passed when I was 18 months old so I have no memories of him. My mom lived to be 85. She's been gone since 2006.

    I think sometimes we need to remember our parents when they were younger and have those be our lasting memories and not what they did when they were in their older, frailer state. I know I do that when thinking of my mom :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post makes me very glad I still have both of my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost my dad when I was 25 and I'm 63 and I still miss him. I will think, "I need to call daddy and tell him . . ." and then I remember. I don't think we ever stop missing them. I'm visiting from A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost my Dad 5 years ago after a couple of years of dementia. My mother decided to nurse him at home, and we adult children got co-opted to do the heavy lifting. I eventually got broken (both physically & emotionally) and my brother took over. We're both glad we were able to spend that time with my father, but it challenged our ongoing relationship with our mother. Living with parents when you're an adult is no easy task - I feel for you, for both when your father was with you & now he isn't.

    Debs visiting this year from
    Making Yourself Relationship Ready

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost my dad over 40 years ago and I still miss him. So many times I wish I had asked him more about his childhood. Visiting from the A to Z. Welcome to the challenge. You're doing great.
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I lost my Dad thirty two years ago I was 39. I felt fortunate to have had him in my life for as long as I did, but now at my current age of 71 I realize how early he left us at only 67 years old. At least my mother was around until I was 63. I miss both of them and think of them every day. Every once in a while I'll have a dream where my father is a primary character. Usually those dreams give me a sense of happiness and security. It's like he's still with me--and actually in so many ways he is.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts