B is for Bridal Shower

 


Today I attended the bridal shower of one of my best friend’s daughter. I can’t say I’ve attended many of these. I’d say maybe five in my whole life. It’s not to say I wasn’t invited out much. I’m just not a fan of any kind of formal events. One, I hate dress up and two, I have wear shoes that were probably some sort of medieval torture devises. Maybe if there were events where shoes were optional, I wouldn’t mind so much. Aside from the formal attire and shoes from hell, I ones I have attended were a lot of fun.

 

You can’t help feel joy and happiness for the bride to be. Maybe it is her happy energy that infects you. You smile and giggle at things that aren’t even funny. But the happy bride sets off such a potent mixture of emotions, you can’t help join in. And of course, the food is always something that makes you smile. Dainty foods on pretty little platters, how can anyone not smile at that?

 

While I was enjoy the dainty food, and the smiling bride to be, I got to start wondering where this whole tradition started. It is said to have derived from the dowry system. This is where bride’s family had to pay the groom’s family money so she can cook and clean for him. That sounds to me like employment done wrong.

 

Then it evolved to little parties where gifts are given to the bride to be if the bride’s family was poor and couldn’t come up with the money. I think one of my favorite traditions of a bride getting the dowry ready was in medieval England where the brides makes some homemade beer called Bride Ale and sold it to guests at high price. That sounds like it would have been a wicked fun time.

 

Then there are other counties where the dowry shower evolved into Kitchen Tea.  This is where the guests bring over kitchen related gifts and then have tea.  Whatever the interesting traditions, they all basically boiled down to what have today. I’m sure the brides to be and then and now have enjoyed their parties.

 

Can’t wait for the wedding.  

Comments

  1. I think I've been to two bridal shower, and I'm nearly 65! Most couples live together before marriage (at least in my area and with those I know) and don't need anything. That makes even a wedding present hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find it hard to pick out a good gift. I find cold hard cash goes with everything and never goes out of style.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been to a bridal shower in a few years but enjoyed them when I was younger and enjoyed my own bridal shower :) I liked the ones where the hostess asked the attendees to bring a recipe and then put it together in a book for the bride to be for favorite recipes or the shower my niece had (I didn't attend since it was out of state) where people were asked to bring things to stock their pantry. Games played at bridal showers can be fun too! I have to admit I did struggle with baby showers the years I dealt with infertility. Those I couldn't go to but always sent a gift.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipe book sounds and stocking the pantry are a great idea. You can never have enough black beans and chicken broth in the pantry.

      Delete
  3. Dainty food on pretty little platters would make me smile, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew how the tradition of bridal showers came about - interesting! I don't like to go to events where I am forced to make small talk. I'd rather stay home, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bridal Showers did not exist where I grew up.
    I just went to one Bridal Shower. here in the USA. I ended up making the cake! It was a BIG cake and not in the regular cake shape at all - if you know what I mean :) I was told it was traditional...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridal Showers did not exist where I grew up.
    I just went to one Bridal Shower here in the USA. I ended up making the cake! It was a BIG cake and not in the regular cake shape at all - if you know what I mean :) I was told it was traditional...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bridal - and other forms of - showers are not the norm here in the UK, although they are starting to appear, as are Halloween and proms. So I've never been to one, but I do like the idea of pretty little eats on pretty plates :)

    Debs visiting this year from
    Making Yourself Relationship Ready

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts